Roasted Harvest Roots Served in a Jack-o-Latern
Roasted Harvest Roots served in a Jack-o-latern
Harvest roots blanched in tea and roasted in tea-sonings. A great side dish for any holiday dinner.
Yield: 8-10 servings
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1.5 lb beets – roasted, peeled & cut (large dice, ¾ x ¾x ¾ )
- 2 TBS Harvest Spice loose tea, for blanching water
- 2 lb Sweet Potatoes – peeled & cut (large dice)
- 2 lb Butternut Squash – peeled & cut (large dice)
- 2 lb Rutabaga – peeled & cut (large dice)
- 1 lb Carrots, peeled & cut (large dice)
- Cheese cloth & string
- 2 cups Maple syrup
- 8 TBS butter, divided into ½ TBS pieces
Harvest Spice Tea-soning: To make tea-soning, hand blend the following ingredients…
- 1 TBS Harvest Spice, finely grounded
- 2 TBS Brown sugar
- 1 ½ TBS Salt
- ½ TBS white pepper
- Optional – Jack-o-lantern serving bowl: 1 large Pumpkin, hallowed
- Preheat oven for 375. Place whole beets on tin foil. Oil beets with canola oil and sprinkle salt & pepper. Cover and place in oven for 30-40 minutes, until soft in center. Take out beets and let cool. When cool, peel with damp tea towel. Cut into large dices ( ¾ x ¾x ¾ ).
- While the beets are roasting, blanch & shock the rest of the roots in tea infused water. Place 2 TBS of Harvest spice in cheesecloth and tie with string. In a large pot, bring salted water & tea to a boil. Place sweet potatoes in boiling water and let cook until slightly softened, about 15 minutes. Stain and immediately place in ice water to shock, stop cooking. Take out of ice water bath and strain to dry. Following the same process, blanch & shock the butternut squash (blanch about 8-10 min), rutabaga (blanch about 5 min) and carrots (blanch 3 min) all separately since they cook at different time.
- In a large bowl, mix all the roots together. Place all the vegetables on oiled baking sheet and drizzle with maple syrup. Sprinkle tea-soning. Evenly place butter pieces on top of the vegetables.
- Place veggies in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Rotate baking sheet and let cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Optional – Jack-o-lantern serving bowl: While the roots roast, hallow out a pumpkin and place it in the oven for 10-15 minutes to let it warm and soften. Place the roasted roots in the pumpkin and serve.