Tea Steeped Tabouli, not just a side dish anymore…
Last week in culinary school I learned how make a classic Tabouli Salad, a great side dish for any occasion. Well this weekend I decided to ‘Teas’ the recipe and add a some protein, making the flavors, aromas and texture party in your mouth.
Steeping the Tabouli in Organic KEEP FIT enhanced the flavor from the inside out. Adding chickpeas to the dish gave it another layer of texture, enriched it with more nutrients and promoted it from a side dish to a main dish.
Tea Steeped Tabouli
Portions 4, main dish / 12, side dish
- 12 oz Bulgur Wheat, medium texture
- 2 TBS KEEP FIT
- 1 oz olive oil
- 1 lb English cucumber, peeled, seeded and dice
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 oz parsley, finely chopped
- 1.5 oz mint, finely chopped
- 1.5 oz scallions, sliced thin
- 6 oz tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 3 fl oz lemon juice & zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp hot sauce (Cholula)
- 3 fl oz olive oil
- 4 oz feta cheese, drained & crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pita Bread
- Bring 28 oz of water to a boil. Place bulgur wheat in a bowl. Pour boiling water over bulgur wheat. Add 2 TBS KEEP FIT and 1 oz olive oil.
- Cover and let stand until completely cool. The bulgur should have absorbed most or all the water and should be tender enough to eat. Drain & squeeze any extra water and fluff with fork.
- Add cucumber, chickpeas and 2 tsp salt to bulgur wheat and toss.
- Add parsley, scallions, tomatoes, lemon juice, zest , hot sauce, olive oil and combine.
- Mix in feta cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with lemon and parsley
- Serve with pita bread
This dish will not only start the party in your mouth it will keep it going for days…