Holiday Tea Infused Turkey…
Holiday Tea Infused Turkey
- (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:
- 1 gallon chicken stock, low sodium
- 4 tablespoon Chai Spice Rooibos Tea (blend of red rooibos and aromatic holiday spices… cinnamon, clove, orange peel, apples, almonds, & rose petals!)
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 gallon heavily iced water
Preparation – 2 to 3 days before roasting:
- Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator at 38 degrees F.
- Tea-Infused Brine: Combine the vegetable stock, Holiday Spice Rooibos Tea, sugar, salt and in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.
- The night before you cook the turkey, combine the tea-brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. Ensure the turkey is fully immersed, cover and refrigerate 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.
For the aromatics:
- 1 red apple, sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 TBS Chai Spice Rooibos Tea
- 1 cup water
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 6 leaves sage
For turkey coating:
· 1 ½ TBS Chai Spice Rooibos Tea
· 1 ½ tsp rosemary
· 1 tsp thyme
· 1 tsp sage
Salt & pepper to taste
Aromatics & Gravy Base:
- 1 lb onion, large dice
- ½ lb fennel, large dice
- ½ lb carrots, large dice
- ½ lb apple, large dice
- ½ cup almond, roughly chopped
- 1 TBS Chai Spice Rooibos Tea
- Canola oil
- Salt & pepper
- 3 cup dry white wine
- 6 cup vegetable stock
- Corn Starch slurry, mix 1 TBS cornstarch & 1 cup water together
- 1 lemon, juice
- 3 TBS unsalted butter, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 525° F. Remove the turkey from brine and completely rinse it with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the brine.
- Combine the apple, orange, onion, Chai Spice Rooibos Tea, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey’s cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Truss the turkey and coat the skin liberally with canola oil and sprinkle tea-soning. (How to truss a turkey video by Alton Brown )
- Mix onion, fennel, carrots, apples, almonds & tea together and coat with canola oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Place mixture on bottom of roasting pan and place the turkey on roasting rack on top of aromatics to make gravy base.
- Place the turkey on lowest level of the oven and roast at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven to 350° and insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast. Roast until an instant thermometer reads 160° F, about a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- While the turkey in resting, place the roasting pan with gravy aromatics on top of stove and heat on high. Add wine and deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add 1/2 of the slurry and stir occasionally. Cook until thickens and remove from heat. Add more slurry, 1 tsp at a time, if you want gravy thicker. Strain gravy and place back on medium heated stove. Whisk in lemon juice and butter until combined. Season to taste with salt ad pepper. Serve with turkey.
Be Grateful & Eat Well…