Never So Proud to Get a “B”
Better than the B-side of a record, we’ve recently attained B Corp status! Certified B Corps (where B stands for ‘Benefit’) are a new kind of company that uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. Unlike traditional corporations, Certified B Corps are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their employees, suppliers, community, consumers, and environment. Cofounder of B Corp Jay Coen Gilbert states “B Corporation certification is key to distinguish good companies from just good marketing. With their commitment to the triple bottom line, The Tea Spot stands as a leader in the movement for a better way to do business”.
Throughout the certification process it helped us develop and articulate a set of core values for our company which we have since added to our employee handbook. Even though we’re a small company currently, integrating these hard core commitments now will help keep us aligned with our goals as we grow. Our vision for a profitable, sustainable and philanthropic business has a singular focus: to help people live longer, healthier lives by making loose leaf tea an everyday luxury. Our mantra, “Modern Brewing. Conscious Living.” translates into five core values:
1. Develop groundbreaking innovations and deliver extraordinary customer experiences in support of our mission.
2. Ensure that our products have a positive net effect on the environment and their practices are consistent with eco-friendly values.
3. Inspire and support each other at the workplace through employee ownership and reciprocal relationships – understanding that respect, integrity and active teamwork are the building blocks of our successes.
4. Build and maintain reciprocal relationships based on respect and integrity with the buyers, suppliers, and colleagues in our community and industry.
5. Advance our mission through social entrepreneurship by means of our 10% Pledge for Cancer Wellness, donating 10% of all sales in-kind to cancer wellness and community programs.
We were since featured by Development Crossing, a Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainable Development media company, in their CSR Minute news report for attaining this certification. They feature companies committed to a triple bottom line (people, planet, & profits). You can watch the quick video segment here.