Blood Orange Applesauce Recipe
Autumn is here and few things are as synonymous with the season as apples. A wonderful use of this amazing fall staple is applesauce! But, I hear you say, where is the tea? Well, I am glad you asked.
We will be adding a Rooibos tea to the sauce. Rooibos is a naturally caffeine-free herbal tea from South Africa, aka red bush tea. Its naturally sweet flavor, lack of bitter tannins, and naturally decaf nature makes it a great kids tea, pregnancy tea, tea for lactating moms, and a hydrating tea for all of us that want an antioxidant rich brew without the jitters. Medical research has suggested numerous health benefits of rooibos including anti-cancer properties, particularly in decreased risk of skin cancer. You can browse our full selection of rooibos teas available in loose leaf bulk, tins, pyramid tea bags, and tea samplers.
This tea will not only give the applesauce an amazing fall color, it will also add a richness to the sauce that is reminiscent of apple pie. In this recipe we will be using our Blood Orange Smoothie rooibos blend. This tea brews into a dark red liquor with a naturally sweet, creamy taste and aroma, the perfect complement to applesauce.
- 4 granny smith apples
- ¾ cup water
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 sachets of Blood Orange Smoothie tea
DIRECTIONS:1) Gather all the ingredients and a large saucepan. Combine the water and lemon juice in the saucepan.
2) Wash and peel the apples. Note: if you need to step away from the apples after you have peeled them, set them in the lemon juice water mixture and coat all sides. This will stop the apples from browning.
3) Cut the apples into 1/4inch slices. Discard the cores.
4) In the saucepan combine all of the ingredients over medium heat. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
5) Remove from heat and discard the tea bags. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher. Alternatively, you could use a blender if you want an extra creamy texture.